Thread: Webber Bar
View Single Post
Old August 18th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I Me Mine
Advancing my career with every post.

John Kingston can guide greenhorns John Kingston can guide greenhorns John Kingston can guide greenhorns John Kingston can guide greenhorns John Kingston can guide greenhorns John Kingston can guide greenhorns John Kingston can guide greenhorns John Kingston can guide greenhorns John Kingston can guide greenhorns John Kingston can guide greenhorns John Kingston can guide greenhorns
Default Re: Webber Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth_M View Post
I have no idea what a Webber bar is...
Weber's Bar

Weber Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Weber bar
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search
A Weber bar is a device used in the detection of gravitational waves first devised and constructed by physicist Joseph Weber at the University of Maryland. The device consisted of multiple aluminium cylinders, 2 meters in length and 1 meter in diameter, antennae for detecting theoretical gravitational waves.[1]

Around 1968, Weber collected what he concluded to be "good evidence"[1] of the theorized phenomenon. However, his experiments were duplicated many times, always with a null result.

Such experiments conducted by Joseph Weber were very controversial, and his positive results with the apparatus, in particular his claim to have detected gravitational waves from SN1987A in 1987, were until recently widely considered discredited. Criticisms of the study have focused on Weber's data analysis and his incomplete definitions of what strength vibration would signify a passing gravitational wave. However, recent analysis has suggested that his claim may be in need of reassessment.[2][3]

Weber's first "Gravitational Wave Antenna" was on display in the Smithsonian Institution as part of "Einstein: a Centenary Exhibit" from March 1979 to March 1980.
But I think he means this.

Quote:
The Webber Bar is a step gage design with a known distance to each pad. It is the most common dynamic linear standard used today
Like a Koba bar.

https://give.velosano.org/JKingston__Beat_Cancer